Saturday, July 26, 2008

pointing to the Father...

This is an entry I've been wanting to write for a long while but haven't been able to because I either haven't been keeping up with the blog or I've been catching up on stuff I'd wanted to talk about during the frequent down times when I didn't write... but finally I get to write it.

Maybe this is something that's already common knowledge to everyone else that just never really hit me before, but that it did. It hit me in a big way. Ok, so one thing I've been taught a lot lately both through my personal devos and through Bible studies and sermons, is that the whole Bible, everything in it is pointing to the Gospel, pointing to the Savior, Jesus Christ. It's amazing that when you read the Bible with that mindset you begin to realize how true it is. Everything, the whole Old Testiment, The Gospels (obviously), Paul's letters, Revelation... they're all about Jesus and His sacrifice. So there's the first half... Then, one night in my devotions I read through three very common verses, verses that we've all heard hundreds of times.

"Therefore God has highly exalted him (Jesus) and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

It hit me like a ton of bricks, such a basic concept, one I'd heard a million times, but here it was. IT'S ALL FOR THE GLORY OF GOD!!! How amazing is that. Let me explain. I'd finally begun to grasp the concept that the whole Bible points to Christ. But there's more! "...to the glory of God the Father." Christ points to the Father. Thus, everything, the whole Bible, all the stories all the chapters, all the books are pointing to Christ and His sacrifice, who in-turn points to the Father bringing Him ultimate glory and honor and praise. All glory to Him!

No comments: