Friday, January 9, 2009

Valkyrie

I saw Valkyrie tonight.  Excellent movie, both film making quality and story.  A definite “purchaser” for me.  For those of you who don’t know… Valkyrie is a new film staring Tom Cruise.  It’s a true story about an uprising and assassination attempt by high-ranking soldiers against Adolf Hitler.  Now if you know your history, you know that this uprising obviously did not succeed and that Hitler was not assassinated.  There… I just ruined the end of the movie. Now many of you may know… or at least assume what I’m about to tell you, but incase not, I’m going to throw in a quick SPOILER WARNING! DON”T READ ON IF YOU DON’T KNOW THE STORY AND PLAN ON SEEING THE MOVIE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.  ONCE YOU SEE IT FINISH THIS POST.  Anyway, at the end of the movie, Nazi soldiers execute many of the men who were involved in this attempt by firing squad or hanging.  This prompted a thought in my head that I’ve had before about both soldiers and radicals.  It may seem simple but I hope you’ll see the truth in it.  Everyday, people are willing to give their lives for different causes.  Some noble, some not so much.  Take for example: soldiers, police officers, suicide bombers, the 9/11 hijackers, firemen, search and rescue teams, drug dealers.  Get the idea?


Take this for what you want… we, as followers of Christ, live for the most noble cause in the history of the world.  Matter of fact… our “cause” is the whole reason the world exists.  Early followers of Christ risked their lives daily just by unashamedly living for that cause.  People in 51 countries around the world today live a life committed to Christ despite their nation’s commands.  We as American’s have been blessed with such a great freedom to be able to worship and make our Savior famous… yet how often do we do it?  How often do we tell our friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. about the cause we’re living for. 


We won’t even speak… they were willing to die. 


Now I realize this may seem to you to be hypocritical, judgmental, and one of those plank in my eye speck in yours situations… and I agree.  So I write this not to judge… but to get all of us thinking for the edification of the body of Christ.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is a great observation! I also like to find the spiritual amongst the worldly. Grasping spiritual insights in "worldly" things is not only fascinating but, can also be a learning / growth experience. Most importantly, I think it shows your sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's speaking to you. By you sharing how He spoke to you, He speaks to others too. Keep that sensitivity! I will pray that you will. love you~